Solvent Absorption – UNO
UNO is a liquid carbonate solvent, which selectively removes carbon dioxide from both post and pre-combustion applications. Trials have been completed in plant scale applications (see below)
- Oxygen and high temperature tolerant
- Environmentally benign with low volatility eliminating the need for a water wash column section
- Very high temperature scrubbing in the pre-combustion application resulting in improved energy integration opportunities
- Provides additional turbine output from pre-combustion applications
- Production of valuable fertilizer products from feed gas impurities
UNO Technology P/L owns two patents families related to K2CO3 solvent processes and has the exclusively commercialise these technologies. The first patent “UNO” relates to a liquid K2CO3 process, which was demonstrated as part of the ETIS projects [6, 7]. The second patent “UNO MK 3” relates to the precipitating K2CO3 process.
Currently five patents have been awarded in three different countries.
UNO – K2CO3 system for Pre & Post Combustion Capture 
- PCT/AU2006/001177, fully awarded in Australia (20062811992).
- US coverage awarded for post combustion capture (7976803),
- US coverage allowed for pre-combustion under US Divisional Patent Application No. 13/089952
- Canadian coverage under Canadian Patent Application No. 2619097
UNO MK 3 – Precipitating potassium carbonate 
- PCT /AU2011/000462,
- Accepted under Australian Patent Application No. 2011242411